Essex County Divorce Attorney
Divorce Lawyer in Essex County Handles Family and Matrimonial Matters
Family law matters differ from other legal issues in that they require an attorney who looks after your rights while taking into account the emotional difficulties involved in matrimonial and child support disputes.
As the premier family law firm in Essex County, Helfand & Associates approaches each case individually because no two cases are identical. We provide the type of personal attention and care necessary to devise a strategy for each client's specific needs.
Our knowledgeable lawyers are fully aware of the the difficulties involved in alimony, child custody agreements, financial issues, and mediation and arbitration. Regardless of the situation, we draw upon our extensive resources to satisfy client objectives both in and outside the courtroom.
For a free 1/2 hour consultation, please call our family law team at 973-428-0800.
For more than two decades, Helfand & Associates has represented the best interests of our clients within Essex County. We have achieved strong results in the following practice areas:
- Child Support – Following divorce or separation, every parent has a financial obligation to support their child(ren) until emancipation. In contrast to alimony, New Jersey the courts use the formula pursuant to the Child Support Guidelines to calculate the amount of child support. Our team of attorneys is familiar with application of these guidelines and related case law. For this reason, we can make a fair assessment of your family's circumstances and arrive at an arrangement that benefits the child long after the dissolution of the marriage.
- Paternity – Whether you are looking to establish or refute parentage, our firm can guide you toward the relevant legal procedures and the scientific evidence used in these decisions.
- Adoption – Bringing a child into your home is a positive, life-changing development, but it is also a serious commitment. Unfortunately, legal hurdles can result in extensive, frustrating delays. For both domestic and international adoptions, we take care of the important details and adequately prepare you for the evaluation process.
- Domestic Violence – If there are acts of domestic violence, a victim can seek a restraining order. In 1991, the Prevention of Domestic Violence Act was enacted to carry out the Legislature's intent to “to assure the victims of domestic violence the maximum protection from abuse the law can provide.” Because the protections of this act are extensive, they may also have serious consequences for the defendant. Consequently, it is very important to consult experienced counsel when facing domestic violence actions.
- Complex financial issues – While the law designates an equitable distribution of the assets and liabilities resulting from a the marriage, availability and accuracy of evidence is critical for the division of businesses, stock options, intellectual property, real estate, and investments. At Helfand & Associates, we have the experience to handle these complex financial cases.
FAMILY LAW ATTORNEYS ACHIEVING POSITIVE OUTCOMES
Helfand & Associates represents Essex County clients in a wide range of family law matters, including divorce, child support and domestic violence disputes. Regardless of the legal matter you have, we offer a free half-hour consultation at our offices. Some of the towns we serve in Essex County:
- Cedar Grove
- East Orange
- Essex Fells
- Glen Ridge
- North Caldwell
- Short Hills
- Silver Lake
- South Orange
- Upper Montclair
- West Caldwell
- West Orange
Please call 973-428-0800 or contact us online to schedule a consultation.